ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation Training & Certification
Clients request that their (internal or external) IT Service Providers can prove that they are able to provide the required service quality and have appropriate service management processes in place. Based on processes, ISO/IEC20000 is an internationally recognized standard for IT Service Management that specifies requirements for the service provider to plan, establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, maintain and improve an SMS. The requirements include the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services to fulfill agreed service requirements.
ISO/IEC20000 certification is awarded after audits conducted by Registered Certification Bodies, which ensure that a service provider designs, implements and manages an IT Service Management system in line with the requirements of the standard.
This course provides a basic insight in the specifications and code of practice for ISO/ IEC20000 and covers the second edition of the standard (ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011) which cancels and replaces the first edition (ISO/IEC 20000-1:2005).
Some of the main differences are as follows:
- closer alignment to ISO 9001
- closer alignment to ISO/IEC 27001
- change of terminology to reflect international usage
- clarification of the requirements for the governance of processes operated by other parties
- clarification of the requirements for defining the scope of the SMS
- clarification that the PDCA methodology applies to the SMS, including the service management processes, and the services
- introduction of new requirements for the design and transition of new or changed services
Students who have attended this course are suitably prepared to successfully take the associated ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation certification test which is one of the possible pre-requisites for the Practitioner qualification.
Course and Learning Objectives:
At the end of this course the student will be able to understand the scope, objectives and high level requirements of the ISO/IEC 20000 standard, how it is used in a typical IT service provider organization, together with the main elements of the certification process.
Specifically, the student will understand:
- The background to ISO/IEC 20000
- The scope and purpose of Parts 1, 2, 3 and 5 of ISO/IEC 20000 and how these can be used
- The key terms and definitions used
- The fundamental requirements for an SMS and the need for continual improvement
- The processes, their objectives and high level requirements in a typical IT service provider scenario
- Applicability and scope definition requirements
- The purpose of internal and external audits, their operation and the associated terminology
- The operation of the APMG Certification Scheme
- The relationship with best practices and related standards
Participants will learn the principles and core elements of the ISO/IEC 20000 standard for IT Service Management. An interactive approach is used combining lecture, discussion and handouts to prepare participants for the ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation certification exam.
Course Student Material:
Students will receive a ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation classroom workbook containing all of the presentation materials, course notes and sample exams.
Additional reference materials are not required for this course.
There are no pre-requisites for this course, although a basic knowledge of Service Management concepts is recommended.
Staff working within an IT service provider organization who require a basic understanding of the standard, Staff working within service providers who are already certified to ISO/IEC 20000 or those considering its implementation.